Thursday, February 18, 2010

Banter, Characters, and Story in Golddiggers

Gold Diggers of 1933 was a pretty interesting movie to see. I'm not a fan of musicals really (though I do like a few choice ones), but I really enjoyed some aspects of the film. For one the banter between the characters was great. the opening scene in the apartment following the first musical scene reminded me a lot of the Three Stooges for some reason, maybe due to the off handed jokes and the banter between the characters. Some of the characters however seemed to have some questionable thinking near the end, especially with all the heel turns made by Peabody and Lawrence. They go from hating them one day to falling in love with them. It just seemed a little weird, even for a comedy musical. Even with these complaints the movie was enjoyable and had a few pretty decent jokes in it as well.

2 comments:

  1. yeah I felt the same way about the movie,I really enjoyed it for what it was.. a musical. I would again have to agree my one complaint would be that even though its a musical I don't think they give enough justification for everyone falling in love and getting married at the end. I feel like it was an easy fix; the simplest solution to the characters problems without going into depth, and leaving the audience with what they want.. a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Lauren are right, Jameson: falling in love with someone you barely met isn't realistic--except in the land of musicals.

    ReplyDelete